Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Who needs a gym when you have a horse


If you’re anything like me you have no time to hit the gym.  Between two kids and the horse I feel like I’m lucky to go to the bathroom alone.  I was looking for a way to erase two things off my list at the same time.  Why not combine something I love like riding with something I hate like hitting the gym.  I started researching how to do the two at the same time.  I came up with this amazing article on how to exercise while riding at horseriders.org.

One thing I took away was this “As a rider, you should always be ahead of your horse's fitness to ensure you never have to hold the horse's training back on your account”.  I never thought my own health could keep my horse from working to his full potential.  It makes sense when you think about it, but until you hear it you don’t think about it.  I always figure my horse needed to be in top shape to carry me around not me be in shape for him to carry me around. 

When I started researching I was only thinking about taking two things off my list at the same time, but now I realize my health can impact my horse and I owe it to him to be the healthiest I can be for him and me!

To read the full article and get tips on staying fit while in the saddle visit:

http://www.horserides.org/get-fit-horse-riding.html

1 comment:

  1. I think it's WONDERFUL that you've found a way to get exercise in while riding. Obviously, the key is to find out what WILL work for you. If I don't like running at 5:00 a.m., I'm certainly not going to do it. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete